Eating when you are not hungry to relieve boredom, stress or depression is known as binging. Binging is also equivalent to over-eating. Though indulging in your favorite dessert or snack once in a while is not harmful, overeating can lead to weight gain and obesity. Binging can quickly turn into a harmful habit and an eating disorder.
There are various steps you can take to stop yourself from binging and over-eating. This article has helpful guidelines on how you can stop binging.
- The first step to stop binging is to identify the root cause for the problem. If you are eating because you are bored, find an interesting activity instead that will keep you occupied. Try going for a workout session or indulge in a favorite hobby. This will divert your mind from the desire to munch on something. If you are eating to fight stress or depression, you need to figure out ways to overcome this problem. Talking to a counselor or joining a hobby class can help you fight depression and stress.
- Try not to stock your pantry with unhealthy snacks and chocolates. If you see your favorite snacks and sweets you may be tempted to gorge on them. Have healthy fruits and veggies, low fat yoghurt etc in your pantry. These healthy snacks will prevent weight gain even if you snack on them regularly.
- Have a healthy and hearty breakfast that will keep you satiated. This will prevent you from snacking in between meals. Have 3-4 small meals during the entire day so that you do not end up eating any junk food when you are hungry. Make wise choices when you are having your meals. Whole grains, veggies, salads, etc are filling yet nutritious items that can help you cut down on binging.
- Self discipline is extremely important if you want to control your desire to binge on unhealthy snacks. Make a start and do not give in to temptations. Eat only when you are hungry and not for any other reason.
- Once in a while do indulge in your favorite dessert or snack so that you do not feel deprived. However, limit the portion size and make it a point not to have it more than once a week.
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]How To Stop Binging,