Coughing is a natural way of getting rid of impurities from the body in the form of mucus. Frequent coughing however can get troublesome and irritating. It can also result in severe throat and body pain.
The most common reasons for simple cough are – smoking, cold, infections, allergies, dust etc. Simple coughing can be relieved at home, whereas chronic and painful coughs require a doctor’s service. Rather than depending on drugs from the pharmacy, few simple herbal tricks at home can soothe your throat and stop the coughing from getting worse. Here’s how:
- Honey is the most popular solution to frequent and irritating cough. If you have raw honey, then take a teaspoon of it as honey has the power to soothe your throat within minutes. You can also mix honey in your hot tea with or without adding lemon. A hot tea and honey mix can work wonders for any type of affected throat.
- Honey can also be mixed with a glass of warm milk and taken usually at night for a smooth and uneventful sleep. Apart from honey, you can also use cinnamon sticks, boil them in water and drink the hot water slowly.
- Or simply pour a little cinnamon concentrate with lemon juice and drink the solution. Another natural remedy is to add a few drops of apple cider vinegar in your drinking water.
- Using a humidifier in your room at night can help in reducing the dry cough. Aromatherapy is another time tested method to stop cough. It is always advisable to store such ingredients at home as they help not only in stopping the cough but also in keeping your home clean and fresh always. You can use eucalyptus oil alone or use it with other natural oils. Rub such natural oils on your chest and throat area as they help in fast relief from the cough.
- You can also put a few drops of eucalyptus oil in your steam inhaler and inhale the aromatic steam using both your nose and mouth. If you don’t have a steam inhaler then you can take a steam bath or a warm shower instead. Drinking plenty of warm water and that too slowly also helps in stopping the cough.