A hiccup is a condition which can be embarrassing or frustrating. Hiccups can also be funny at times. Spontaneous spasms of diaphragm result in hiccups. In most of the cases, hiccups occur after meals.
It is very important to stop hiccups; else they may persist for several hours. There are many tricks which can help to get relief from hiccups. It is not necessary that the trick that would work on one person would work on the other too. Severity of hiccups also plays an important role in dealing with the situation. Here we are going to discuss about several effective ways to stop hiccups.
Stopping hiccups is not that difficult. You just need to determine the technique that works with you, so that hiccups can be stopped. Here are some tricks which can help to stop hiccups.
- Holding the breath for around half a minute and then releasing it can help to stop hiccups.
- One of the effective remedies for dealing with hiccups is to take a deep breath and hold the breath in for some time. While holding the breath, you should gulp down the saliva in mouth. While still holding your breath, swallow the saliva again for two more times. Thereafter, release the breath. This is one of the best treatments for stopping hiccups.
- Breathing in paper bag for five times without taking a break can help to stop hiccups. Sipping ten gulps of water is a very good way to stop hiccups. However, make sure not to stop in between for taking breath.
- Immersing the face in ice cold water for around half a minute also works very well in dealing with the problem of hiccups. Swallowing one spoon of granulated sugar is also considered to be a good remedy for stopping hiccups.
- Some people have the problem of hiccups after taking some medicine. In this case, it is recommended to seek doctor’s advice.
With the help of the above given tips you would definitely be able to get relief from hiccups. However, if you do not get relief within 24 hours, you should seek medical help. In case of children, you should not wait for more than three hours.