A panic attack or an anxiety attack is a short spell of intense physical and emotional sensations that can last as long as 20 minutes or as briefly as 15 seconds.
Even a few seconds of panic attack can leave you numb, dizzy, shaking and trembling. There are no definite causes of panic attack but it is very often mistaken as a heart attack as the symptoms are somewhat similar.
Panic attack symptoms could be breathlessness, dizziness, tense muscles, unexplained sweating, rapid heartbeat, nervousness and a gripping feeling of fear and anxiety. These symptoms may differ in each individual but their impact on mind and body are same.
It is a bit challenging to cure panic attack but given below are a few tips you can follow to prevent them.
- Find out the cause or the situation that brings in the feeling and triggers the anxiety in you. Stay away from any unpleasant situation that you may think would make you restless and nervous. It is better to prevent panic attack rather than trying to stop or curb it when it has already occurred.
- Deep breathing helps. When you sense the uneasy feeling of anxiety, take deep breaths in and out slowly and deeply. Rush out and change your place. Find a cozy and small place for yourself where you can vent out or just be yourself. Take help of a coworker or a friend.
- Have a healthy diet. Your diet matters a lot in keeping you mentally and emotionally fit. If you have the tendency for these anxiety disorders, make sure you include a good amount of complex carbohydrates and Omega 3 fatty acids in your diet on a daily basis. Flax seeds, fish oil, whole grains, cereals, fresh and colored fruits and vegetables are a good source of these nutrients.
- Take brain-friendly vitamins and supplements. Vitamin B group has some wonderful vitamins that help the body in maintaining excellent nervous system functioning and brain control. If you are prone to panic and anxiety attack, increase your intake of these vitamins and supplements. Also, on bad days or when you suspect you may enter a panic outburst, go for an energy drink or a caffeine dose. It may boost up your energy level and provide mental alertness that may help stop panic attack.
- Get plenty of sleep. Lack of proper sleep and rest may make you more prone to these sudden attacks. A good night’s sleep will keep you mentally fit, fresh and recharged with energy.