Fungal infection of the nails also known as Onychomycosis can cause the discoloration of the nails along with thickening edges and accumulation dirt and debris in the nail bed.
This fungal infection is caused by dermatophytes that feed on the nail keratin. The fungus thrives in dark, moist environment that is usually found in the nail bed especially around the toenails which has reduced blood circulation as compared to fingernails.
One of the earliest symptoms of nail fungus is the appearance of yellow, brown or white spots on the nails. With time these microorganisms can cause the nail to become thick, brittle and distorted. The edges around the affected nails become thick and crumbly and the nails loose their luster.
In case the infection is severe it may also cause pain especially while walking. Treatment of this condition is necessary before it aggravates and you lose the nail completely.
- To treat nail fungus oral antifungal medications such as Sporanox and Terbinafine may be prescribed for six to twelve weeks. In addition to this topical antifungals may be prescribed to treat this condition.
- For extreme pain and severe cases of Onychomycosis, surgery may also be recommended.To stem the growth of fungus, you can also use some simple home remedies.
- Soaking your finger and toenails in a basin filled with apple cider vinegar and warm water for fifteen to twenty minutes can help in eliminating the problem of nail fungus.
- Another powerful anti microbial and antiseptic remedy for treating nail fungus is tea tree oil. Pour few drops of this oil on a cotton ball and apply around the affected nails.
- You can also use cotton balls soaked in diluted hydrogen peroxide for treating nail infection.Soak your nails in rubbing alcohol or Listerine mouthwash for twenty minutes, twice a day.
- This powerful antiseptic helps in removing the fungal infection.You can also use turmeric paste, concentrated lime juice olive oil or make a mild solution of chlorine in water to treat the fungal infection.
- Apply these on the affected part to treat the infection. In addition to this prevent the infection by keeping your nails dry and clean.