- How To Make A Fruit CakePosted 463 days ago
- How To Dress NauticalPosted 463 days ago
- How To Make Malai KoftaPosted 463 days ago
- How To Make A Perfect MartiniPosted 463 days ago
- How To Make PancakePosted 466 days ago
- How To Treat Athletes FootPosted 466 days ago
- How To Make Gulab JamunPosted 467 days ago
How To Treat Osteoarthritis
Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disease resulting from the breakdown of the cartilage that covers the joints. It affects people mostly in their 40’s and 50’s and the common joints affected are knee, hip and finger joints. Usually osteoarthritis affects a single joint and if left untreated, it leads to stiffness, pain and swelling of the joints.
As time progress, osteoarthritis affects all the joints of the body and affects the flexibility and mobility of the patient. Hence, it is highly important to treat osteoarthritis as soon as it is diagnosed.
Even though there are many medications to reduce the pain associated with osteoarthritis, none of them are 100 percent safe and more over they cause many adverse side effects. Hence, people rely on herbal and home remedies to get relief from the difficulties associated with osteoarthritis.
- Turmeric is a good remedy for treating osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis patients can either consume turmeric orally or can apply them externally on the affected joints. Drink a glass of milk mixed with one teaspoon of turmeric daily just before going to bed and this will help to reduce the inflammation and the pain. Alternatively mix turmeric powder with warm water and apply on the affected joints. Repeat two to three times a day to get relief.
- Prepare one liter of tea from the water in which equal proportions of rosemary, sage, thyme and mint are boiled. Drink the entire tea in a day and continue this daily to get relief from the joint pain.
- Avocado/soybean unsaponifiables are excellent remedies for osteoarthritic pain and stiffness, especially in the hip and knee joints. They are actually extracts made out of avocados and soybeans and if taken regularly, it reduces the requirement of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Avocado/soybean unsaponifiables reduces the inflammation and pain in the joints and even stimulate the repair of cartilage. The dosage of avocado/soybean unsaponifiables should be around 300 milligrams per day and it should be continued for about two weeks to two months, depending upon the severity of the osteoarthritis symptoms.
- Those who have osteoarthritis should take a well-balanced diet, as deficiency of certain nutrients like calcium, selenium, phosphorus, bone protein, vitamin D etc., which are constituent minerals of cartilages, bones and synovial fluid cause osteoarthritis. Hence, include more fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans, ginger, garlic etc. in the diet. Also avoid refined flour, sugar, salty and fried foods, processed foods, alcohol, caffeine etc. in the diet.
- Devil’s Claw is an excellent remedy for osteoarthritis. The active ingredients in this herb help to reduce the inflammation and pain in the affected joints. It also reduces the increased uric acid level in the blood, which is a contributory factor for arthritis.
- Stinging nettle is another herb that helps to reduce the joint pain and inflammation of the affected joints. But, it may interfere with the diabetic medications, blood thinners and heart medications and cause lowering of blood pressure. Hence, such patients should not take this herb.
- Similarly, cat’s claw, feverfew, eucalyptus oil, Epsom salt, vitamin E oil etc. are also ideal for treating osteoarthritis. Along with following the remedies for arthritis, the patients should do 30 minutes exercise daily. Yoga, acupuncture, massage therapy etc. can also be practiced to get relief from osteoarthritis.
Photo Credit: Mypraiseatl.com