Vertigo is a dangerous disorder that results due to bodily imbalance and spells of dizziness followed by nausea and a splitting pain in the head and the neck. Even if the person is standing still he may feel as if he is moving and finds it difficult to stand or walk in a straight direction.
It is a disease that is caused by fluid imbalance in the internal ear, a very sensitive organ of our body. It starts with the spinning of the head, severe pain followed by dizziness and vomits.
Vertigo itself is not a disease but it may on start a series of health problems and neural disorders. It is risky to the extent that it may become a reason and an indication for a tumor or a stroke and sometimes hearing loss too. Hence, treatment of vertigo is extremely important to curb the disease in the initial stages of its occurrence. Here are a few tips to deal with vertigo:
- The first and the primary step that leads to treating vertigo is the diagnosis of the problem There are many types of vertigo depending on its position and condition in the body. Once ruled out the type of vertigo the person has, treatment becomes easy. The diagnosis is done with the help of a complete medical check up of the patient followed by a few tests, cervical x rays and few medical procedures. The correct diagnosis also determines the actual causes of vertigo the person suffers from.
- The first treatment is drug based. Your physician may prescribe you drugs which are antiemetic and vestibular suppressant in nature. They help in maintaining the fluid balance and reduce the intolerance and the nauseated feeling in the body.
- Another therapy based non-medicinal process to treat vertigo is to go through Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy or VRT. In this process the vertigo patient is made to practice the motions and movements plenty of times a day till his vestibular functions are back to normal again and he regains the balance. The patient is taught to change the various positions of the body very frequently till he rehearses it well and gains balance.
- Natural remedies and alternative medicines for vertigo are also helpful in curing the disease. A lot of plant based herbs such as Gingko biloba as well as ginger are helpful in treating vertigo. Gingko is specially known to improve body balance, treat memory related problems and other ear related disorders. Natural remedies are always safe as do not have any side effects which various other drugs may have.
- When vertigo cannot be treated with any of the above methods, the last resort to get rid of vertigo is through surgical procedure. The surgery for vertigo is known as destructive surgery that carries its own risk of a possible hearing loss in some cases, hence should be avoided if possible.
Tips and Warnings
- Apart from the regular treatment vertigo patient should take plenty of rest in a quiet place and should avoid driving or taking dangerous wheel rides in roller coasters.
Photo Credit: Wellnessforce.com