Essential oils are powerful oils extracted from plants or plant parts and most of these oils are very potent and concentrated. Essential oils have lot of therapeutic value and provide relief from many diseases. However, if not used properly it may cause various adverse effects. In order to get the best results from the use of essential oils the methods used for the application of essential oil should be perfect. Essential oils are widely used for inhalation, topical application, skin care, in Jacuzzis etc.
It is a simple process
- Inhalation: Inhalation of essential oil is an ideal remedy for bronchial or sinus problems. For inhalation, take steaming hot water in a bowl and add 5 to 7 drops of essential oil. Make a towel tent over the mouth of the bowl and head and inhale the aroma of the essential oil till the water cools.
- Diffuser: A nebulizing diffuser that can split the essential oil into millions of micro-molecules is another way of inhaling the oil. Diffuser does not heat the essential oil and thus provides all the benefits of essential oil.
- Humidifier: Fill a humidifier with normal water and keep a soft cloth or tissue sprinkled with 3 to 9 drops of essential oil near the escape route of the steam. The humidifier may get damaged if essential oils are directly added to it.
- Bath: Taking bath in water that is mixed with essential oil is highly refreshing and relaxing to the body and soul. You may add five to ten drops of essential oil to a tub containing warm water before soaking. You can either add oil directly to the warm water or mix the oil with a tablespoon of honey, carrier oil or a small cup of cream or milk and add to the water.
- Skin care: Essential oil can be used for the deep cleansing of the face. For this add five to six drops of essential oil to a pint of water in a facial steamer and steam the face. Essential oil helps to get rid of the clogs from the closed pores and destroys the micro-organisms present in the skin. For a facial masque add three to five drops of essential oil to honey, egg white and mashed avocado or moistened clay and apply over the face. Alternatively mix 15 drops of essential oil to any of the carrier oil or cream and spread over the face.
- Topical Application: It is ideal to apply essential oil mixed with carrier oils such as almond oil, V-6 enhanced vegetable oil or olive oil, as most of the concentrated essential oils are strong and may cause skin irritations. Take a mixture of essential oil and carrier oil in your palms and rub the palms together and then apply the oil on the desired part of the body. It is ideal to massage the oil with a circular motion over the skin.
- Compress: Compress is an excellent way to reduce the pain, menstrual cramps and ease the strained muscles. Pour four to seven drops of essential oil in to a bowl of warm water and soak a clean washed cloth in this mixture. Squeeze the excess water and apply the warm cloth over the affected area till the warmness of the cloth goes off.
Tips and Warnings
- While using essential oils, take sufficient care to avoid its contact with nose, eyes and ears and also they should not be taken internally. Also do not expose the skin that is coated with essential oil to direct sunlight. Do a path test before using any of the essential oils to avoid allergies.
Photo Credit: Betterbodyclinic.com/the-aromatherapy-benefits-of-cedarwood-oil/
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]How To Use Essential Oils,