Nail fungus begins as a white or yellow spot under the tip of nail. It thrives in warm, moist and dark places that start in nail bed and spreads to the other areas. Nail with fungus becomes flaky, thick, yellow, brown or black. Nail fungus infection is painful. It may be difficult to treat and reappears after some period of time.It is important to stop the progression when symptoms of infection are first seen. Usually doctors prescribe strong medicines to destroy the fungus; it may include oral anti fungal and topical medicines.
The most effective treatment is oral antifungal treatment but prescribed oral medicines may cause some side effects. Nail removal is also a good option as once the nail is removed the topical can reach the nail bed and become more effective, but it takes around 8-10 months to grow nails back.One new treatment option is the use of a laser to shine through the nail and destroy the specific pathogens embedded in and under nail causing infection but this is very costly treatment.There are some simple home remedies without any side effects that many people can try at home and are cheap as well.
Home Remedies For Nail Fungus
– Expose your toes to fresh air and sunlight.
– Keep the affected area clean and dry.
– Trim nails regularly to keep the nails clean and neat. Do not cut nails to short or near cuticles as it may serve path to the fungus.
– Mix 1 teaspoon honey into 1 glass of water and drink it early morning on empty stomach to flush out the toxins from body.
– Take a pomegranate peel and 5-6 garlic cloves then grind them together to form paste. Apply this paste on toenails to relieve itching.
– Boil 2 glass of water with 15-20 leaves of Neem, now add it to the bucket full of warm water and take a bath from this water to relieve itch and treat fungus.
– Put few drops of apple cider vinegar on affected area to treat nail fungus or take 2mugs of warm water in tub and add 1 cup of vinegar in it then soak your feet in this warm water for 15-20 minutes to relieve fungal infection.
– Eat food rich in vitamin C and Zinc 2-3 times a day, it helps to improve immune function and treats fungus.
– Garlic is natural antifungal, boil 1 glass of water with 1 teaspoon of garlic, strain and drink warm or eat 2-3 raw garlic cloves daily.
– Apply grapefruit extract to the affected area or take the grapefruit extract internally to heal the fungal infection faster and build immune system more resistant to fungal infections.
Mix tea tree oil, manuka oil and eucalyptus oil together and apply few drops to the affected nail and skin around nail fungus 2-3 times daily. Dab it on with cotton swab or ball. Hold it on the place with bandage or tape that helps to relieve itching as well as kills the fungi. You can also use any one oil from above oils as all of them contain natural antifungal properties.
Caution: Please use Home Remedies after Proper Research and Guidance. You accept that you are following any advice at your own risk and will properly research or consult healthcare professional.