Anemia refers to a condition that means lack of blood. It is the most common blood disorder that occurs when the quantity of red blood cells decreases in the body. These red blood cells contain hemoglobin - the red colouring matter, a protein and are composed of an organic compound called “heme”. Hemoglobin helps the red blood cells to carry oxygen from the lungs to other parts of the body. The formation of hemoglobin depends on adequate dietary supplies of iron and protein.
Types of Anemia
- Iron deficiency anemia: It is the most common type of anaemia. Iron is required for the formation of hemoglobin. When there is less iron in the body it causes iron deficiency anaemia.
- Aplastic anemia: When body stops making enough red blood cells and chances of infections increases.
- Vitamin deficiency anemia: This is also termed as megaloblastic anemia.This is caused due to the deficiency of folic acid or vitamin B12. In this type of anaemia the red blood cells made by the body are not able to carry oxygen properly to lungs and other parts.
- Inherited blood disease: Sickle cell anaemia is an inherited anaemia that is transferred through genes. In the sickle cell anaemia the cells block the organs from getting proper circulation of blood.The other inherited disease is thalassemia. When the body is missing certain genes or when different genes that are not normal are passed down from parents to the kins, it affects the procedure the body uses to make hemoglobin.
- Underlying diseases: Certain diseases or conditions can affect the formation of red blood cells. Like in kidney failure one is on dialysis and kidney is not in the condition to produce hormones that are required for iron absorption.
- Pernicious anemia: When body is not able to absorb vitamin B12 from the foods, the condition is known as pernicious anaemia.
Causes of Anaemia
- The two main causes of anaemia are the reduced or low formation of red blood cells and heavy loss of blood due to injury, heavy menstruation and bleeding piles.
- Any defect in the bone marrow or an inadequate intake of iron, vitamins and proteins results in low formation of red blood cells.
- The lack of hydrochloric acid that is required for digestion of iron and proteins also causes anaemia. Various chronic diseases like tuberculosis, kidney failure, rheumatoid arthritis may cause anaemia.
- Presence of intestinal parasites that feed on the vitamins and other nutrients also leads to anaemia.
Home Remedies for Anaemia
Eating 2-3 apples daily helps in increasing iron content in the body. This is very simple home remedy for anemia.
Vitamin B12 is necessary for both preventing and curing anaemia. The rich sources of this vitamin are animal protein and organic meats like kidney and liver. This is one of the effective anemia treatment.
Take 1/2 to 1 tsp. of the tincture of Yellow dock root thrice daily, or 1/2 to 1 tsp. of extract of Dandelion leaf and or root or take two capsules two times daily, or Eat Dandelion greens in your salad. This is a good natural remedy for anemia.
Tea and coffee should be avoided as they hinder with the iron absorption.
Beets are very important in the cure of anemia. Its juice contains potassium, phosphorus, calcium, sulphur, iodine, iron, copper, carbohydrates, protein, fat, and vitamins B1, B2, B6, C and P. Beets act as natural remedy for anemia.
A cold-water bath is the valuable method in curing anaemia. Two baths are recommended daily. - home remedy for anemia.
Cold friction and hot Epsom baths for 5-10 minutes once a week are recommended.
Another effective anemia treatment is to take sunbaths are also beneficial as sunlight stimulates the production of red cells.
Three - Four dried figs are recommended a day for anaemic persons as this is very simple and good home remedies for anemia.
Honey also plays an important role in improving the health. Lemon and honey or apple cider vinegar is highly beneficial when taken during morning. This is one of the best anemia cure.
Massaging the body daily also helps to keep the blood level in the body high. This is another simple and good home remedy for anemia.
A liberal intake of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) is necessary for the proper absorption of iron. Two citrus fruits are recommended daily. Indian Gooseberry (Amla) provides natural vitamin C. 5
Deep breathing and light exercise like walking also tones up the system and increases the blood level.
Various yoga asanas like sarvangasana, paschomittanasana, uttanpadasana and shavasana are also beneficial and good home remedies for anemia.
Herbs such as dong quai, dandelion, barley greens and alfalfa are all good sources of vitamins and minerals and are good diet for anemia.
Morpheme Amalaki Supplements provides the richness of Amla (Vitamin C), to promote good diet for anemia.