Psoriasis is one of the most chronic skin diseases that are characterized by thick, red, silvery, scaled patches on the skin. It can also be defined as an inflammatory skin condition. It affects both sexes and usually appears in the age of 15-30 years. It is rarely found in infants and elderly people. It is not contagious and is caused by faulty signals in the immune system. There are five types of psoriasis and they are:
- Plague psoriasis It is the most common of all. In this type of psoriasis patches of raised, reddish skin covered by silvery-white scale appears on almost all parts of the body.
- Guttate psoriasis Small red spots appear on the skin
- Pustular psoriasis White pustules surrounded by red skin appears on the skin
- Inverse psoriasis Smooth, red lesions are formed in the folds of the skin.
- Erythrodermic psoriasis There is itching, pain and redness of the skin.
Causes of Psoriasis
The various causes of psoriasis are:
- Heredity factor
- Abnormality in the metabolism of amino acids and proteins
- Seasonal changes
- Injury to the skin
- Various infections
Home Remedies for Psoriasis
The hot Epsom salts bath has been proven valuable in the treatment of psoriasis. Application of olive oil after the Epsom salt bath is also effective and also one of the effective home remedies for psoriasis.
Regular seawater baths and application of seawater over the affected parts once a day is highly beneficial. This is one of the best psoriasis remedy.
Bitter gourd is a valuable home remedy for psoriasis. Take a cup of fresh juice of this vegetable, mixed with a teaspoon of limejuice on an empty stomach daily for four to six months. This is a good diet for psoriasis.
The use of mudpacks is also beneficial for the psoriasis. They absorb and remove the toxins from the affected areas.
Cabbage leaves can be used in the form of compresses. They can be applied on the affected area after removing the thick veins and washing them thoroughly. This is also one of the effective home remedies for psoriasis.
Sunlight is the best and natural remedy for psoriasis.
Vitamin E therapy has been found effective in the psoriasis treatment. A daily dose of 200-800 I.U is recommended as they reduce itching of the area.
Lecithin is also considered as a remarkable remedy for the psoriasis treatment.
Psoriasis cure - 6-9 lecithin capsules in a day are recommended.
Application of Aloe Vera gel and garlic oil on the affected area is also beneficial and is good natural remedy for psoriasis
Application of cashew nut oil on the affected areas at night after a thorough wash of the face is highly beneficial and is one of the effective home remedies for psoriasis.
Lotions for psoriasis patients
- Wheat germ oil and castor oil Mix one teaspoon each of wheat germ oil and castor oil in one cup of sunflower oil and rub this lotion on the affected areas. This is very good natural remedy for psoriasis.
- Calendula Add 2 drops of calendula oil and one drop of oregano oil to one small cup of olive oil. Apply on the affected area. This is another effective psoriasis remedy.
- Marigold lotion Boil 4 marigold heads in 4 cups of water for two minutes. Allow it to cool and then apply it on the affected area and if the scalp is affected massage it in to the scalp and wash it with mild shampoo. Add lemon juice or cider vinegar to the rinsing water for a thorough wash.